Surrendering Your Dog
Our goal in rescue is to help dogs who find themselves in need of a home. But the need for assistance far outweighs our resources. We will try to help whenever we can, but please explore all your options before choosing to rehome your dog.
Removing a dog from the only home he or she has ever known can be detrimental to that dog. Please consider every training, financial and assistance option before you make that choice.
- If your need is behavior based, we can recommend trainers and an action plan.
- My Pitbull Is Family provides pit bull friendly housing options in cities across the country.
- The Animal Humane Society and Mission Animal Hospital offer low cost vet care if your need is financial.
- The Pet Project is a local organization that helps to keep pets and their caregivers together by providing pet food and pet supplies to food shelves. They offer quarterly low-cost vaccination clinics and provide information about other programs that provide reduced-cost veterinary care.
- Selling or rehoming your dog on Facebook or Craigslist is dangerous, please do not resort to this option.
We can’t take every dog.
Please plan ahead if you need to rehome your dog. Last minute, panicked phone calls are common, but we cannot turn on a dime because we don’t have a shelter. Save-a-Bull can only take a dog into rescue when we have an appropriate vacant foster home for that dog to live.
If you have no other options for your dog, please complete the owner surrender application. After we have received the application, we will call or e-mail you back with options, based on information provided in the application. Please note that all dogs in our care live with families and their kids and pets, so we can not consider a dog that has:
- Dog-to-dog aggression
- Human aggression
- Any bite history.
- Been declared Dangerous or Potentially Dangerous
We can only consider applications from Minnesota and Wisconsin.